Monday, February 23, 2015

Dover Beach Extension

Doors slammed and the house was empty.  "I can't believe that that Montag guy said that", said Mrs. Phelps.  "I concur", said Mrs. Bowles.  "What does that poem even mean?" "I have no idea.  I all I know is that I'm really upset right now."  "I'm going home." "Me too."  Mrs Bowles started sprinting, long gone before Mrs. Phelps could start to begin to process what had happened. Mrs. Phelps couldn't help think about the poetry's lines.  "The Sea of Faith Was once, too, at the full, and round earth's shore", "Ah, love, let us be true" What does that even mean? I need to know.  The lines kept ringing in Mrs. Phelps' head.  "I have got to figure out what these lines mean", said Mrs. Phelps privately.

She couldn't think.  She was on the verge of collapsing.  She had to stabilize herself.  She quickly found a wall to lean against.  She had no idea what she was feeling.  Sadness possibly.  He crying was almost uncontrollable.  She had not cried in a long time, not since when she was a youngster, crying whenever she wanted something.. She hadn't cried since because she had everything, she didn't want anything.  She was perfectly content with what she had and who she was.  So what could possibly make her so upset? 

The lines came back again, and she recalled his stern voice.  It sounded like he was saying things were wrong.  They couldn't possibly be wrong though, right?  Things were a certain way for a reason.  So why would he question them?  Why am I still a mess?

She came to the conclusion that she was being silly.  Ya, silly she said with a pained expression on her face.  Montag had to be wrong and she was right.  She was now happy.  She realized she just overreacted.  I was just being silly.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you use parts of the specific poem and portray the reactions of Mrs. Phelps. This really portrays how she starts doubting herself, but then going back to the ways of her society ignores fact when it is right in front of her. Nice job Ethan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea that both girls are completely blindsided by the incident and can barely process what happened, mainly because in the society they don't think for themselves.

    ReplyDelete